Tuesday, April 25, 2006

I Have a Bone to Pick with iTunes

I'm a big fan of 70s and 80s music and lately, I've been trying to fill up my iPod with some of my fave tunes from those eras. One of those songs is "It's Magic" by a one-hit-wonder group called Pilot. Well, iTunes has the song, all right, but here's the catch: You have to download the entire LAME-O "Herbie 2" soundtrack to get that one song! Sorry, but I am NOT spending $9.99 for one frigging song! Especially for that dopey movie!If you try to find another stand alone version of the song, you're shit outta luck. Yes, they exist, but none of them are the original. Why does iTunes do this? I noticed that other users were complaining, too, on the iTunes feedback bulletin board.Well, I'll just search around for a 70s compilation CD somewhere, I s'pose.

I posted this lament on my LiveJournal and a friend of mine wrote back:

"Usually the reason that happens is the movie soundtrack is on one label that paid to use another label's tune on their movie but the owning label does not do business with iTunes/Apple. That's why you don't see AC/DC, Beatles, Led Zep and many other bands - because they are on Sony or EMI that won't deal with Apple because they have deals with Napster (Lamester) or their own music store they're trying to get going. It annoys me too, so in situations like that I'll look first at the public library collection of music to check out, then to the used CD stores for cheap copies.Good luck hunting!"

Aha...now I understand. Don't like it, but I understand.



No comments: