Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Back from Cape Cod

I know, know, I've been remiss about posting. I've just been too damned busy, but in a good way: running, swimming, biking, days trips to the beach, hanging with friends, family. And now, I am told, summer is almost over...boo-hoo!

It's not so much a weather thing, the end of summer signifies buckling down and acting like a (ugh!) grown-up once again. No more lazy, hazy, crazy days. Plus, I absolutley HATE the shorter days, especially around October when we set the clocks back. To a runner, that's anathema. Well, I hear that daylight savings time is supposed to be abolished in 2007. Yippee!

The big news: DBF and I just got back from a week in Cape Cod, MA...what a gorgeous place! If you haven't been, it's a must. We did Martha's Vineyard (you really need a week there-one day does not do it justice), Provincetown (cute, quaint, lots of neat shops and places to eat, very gay-friendly), kayaking on the bay in S. Dennis. I promise that pix are coming. Just have to download them.

I should add this is a very pet-friendly place as well. It seems as if EVERYBODY has a Labrador. In fact, the owner of this one ice cream place we went to has 3 chocolate Labs and even offers a doggie treat on the menu: a scoop of vanilla ice cream with a dog biscuit stuck in it!

In Provincetown, we visited a doggie store and there was a sign inside that said "Absolutely no food, drinks, children inside store. Pets welcome." Gotta love a place like that, I tell ya! Of course, there are the famous Black Dog, Inc. stores all over the Cape and I just hadda buy an orange hoodie shirt with a black Labby on it!

And the architecture! Those of you who know me know I love Victorian and Gothic architecture and the Cape has loads of it, each one more beautiful than the next.

As for the running, I am having a good year so far. I took first place female in our annual Interclub Challenge and me and my swim partner, Anne, took first place female team in our annual biathlon. I've also placed in 1st, 2nd or 3rd in most of my races this year.

BF has decided he wants to do a marathon in Philly this November and now I am convinced as well and have started training for that! This WILL be my last marathon, I promise you that (unless I happen to get into the NYC Marathon lottery next year!). This one will make my 3rd and will also make me a 3-state marathoner: NY, NJ and PA!

Well, it's my first day back at work and I have managed to survive. I love the way everyone tells you how rested you look. Well, that will last for about 15 minutes. :-)

Current Mood: busy
Current Music: Jethro Tull-"Living in the Past"

4 comments:

Mauigirl said...

Hi, just saw your blog and started reading it. We were just up at Cape Cod in September as well - we go twice a year with our dog Diva. She loves it there. I love that dog store in Provincetown. We also always stop to have a slice of pizza at Spiritus Pizza. They have that cute little outdoor courtyard in the back and they let us take Diva there while we have our pizza.

I've been going to the Cape since I was about 2 years old; my mom is from Massachusetts and has been going there all her life. It's a great place...

Martta said...

Yeah, it's going to be a definite vacation destination for us next spring as well. Thank you for reading my blog!

Mauigirl said...

Where did you stay at the Cape? If you're looking for a comfy place that allows dogs, the place we stay in Eastham is great. It's a bunch of cottages by a small lake (Depot Pond) right off of Route 6 and in walking distance to the little supermarket on the corner called the Superette that I've been going to since I was a kid. The cottages are very basic (certainly not luxurious) but have a view of the water, the kitchen utensils you need, and TV with basic cable. The dogs love swimming in the lake and it is a nice relaxing place to stay because it is quiet and secluded despite its location right near everything. It's called Gibsons' Cottages and you can find it easily by Googling if you want to find out more.

Martta said...

We stayed at a friend's house in S. Dennis. Actually, the house belongs to the elderly mother of a friend of my BFs sister. The hosue needs a lot of work, though, and BF has offered to do it for some money a place to stay this spring! Not a bad deal at all.