Friday, August 03, 2007

BUDK--The Cutting Edge of Catalogs

My BF & I get a lot of catalogs, everything from Victoria's Secret (sometimes 3 a week, no lie) to pet products(even though we are currently dogless, boo-hoo!) to runners' products (no surprises there), to those that feature all kinds of kooky household gadgets. But I have to say that the one that wins the prize for the most bizarre is The BUDK Catalog. The strangest part is why my BF's name appears on it.

The BUDK catalog features everything your local sword collector, knife aficianado, white supremacist, neo-Nazi, psychopath would want. Here are some samples of what you can order from BUDK:

A semi-automatic C02 pistol
A belt buckle that has a nickel coin slot and says, "Insert Coin, unzip, shake well, guaranteed action, internal use only."
A Confederate Flag belt buckle
A full-size German WWII 1942 helmet with your choice of insignia, including the swastika
An SS Officer's Dagger circa 1933 imprinted with the motto, "Meine Ehre Heisst Treue" (My honor is truth).
A leather bullwhip
A Grim Reaper Clock
Lock picks
Stun guns
Various types of battle axes
A Medieval Barbarian War Helmet
An M-16 Air Assault Rife with BB bullets
Precision handcuffs "for all your law enforcement needs"


Well, at least they're all made in the good ol' USA. BUDK is owned by one Clint H. Kadel of Moultrie, GA, right in the heart of the Bible Belt (although I didn't see any Bibles for sale). There's a bunch of legalese on the order form, exempting BUDK from any indemnity for improper use of any of the products. But we know that only bonafide collectors would order this stuff. Right.

Good for Mr. Kadel. Where else can you go for a 16-gauge chain mail shirt to "protect your hide from the hordes?" Or a Lord of the Rings Battle Axe of Gimli that lets you be "ready for battle at a moment's notice?"

Granted, I have to admit there were somethings I liked in the catalog and would consider ordering (but I shudder to think what kind of catalog list I'd end up on). There's the Medieval chess set, the five-pointed star pewter pendants, the Medieval shields, the silver dragon necklace, the Viking Horn helmet (not historically accurate, I know, but cool as hell!), and a tiny hand-carved coffin for all your keepsakes. It WOULD be kinda fun to open my mail with a battle axe.

And, if I was single, I would always keep a copy of The BUDK catalog on my coffee table to help ward off predatory suitors.

5 comments:

Mauigirl said...

That's some catalogue! So what did the BF buy that got him on that list?

I think you could probably find a medieval chess set elsewhere. Check out e-bay!

Martta said...

I haven't the foggiest notion. But yeah, you're right. There's another great Medieval catalog I get (mostly furnishings) called Toscano. They would probably have such a chess set.

Anonymous said...

Yea I get this same catalogue..we stop buying from it because of the more than usual amount of nazi insignias throughout it..makes us believe that the people in charge may be for it. Anybody who would be against it wouldn't have it in their magazine at all unless it was actual antiques from the era(which it isnt)

Anonymous said...

i got a huge kick out of your post! I agree with you that this catalog is very "odd" and flat out has all kind of weird stuff all in it. Even the owner thinks so, but it sells! I worked there for the last 3 or so years actually designing the catalog along with my husband who still works there.

I must say to the "anonymous" who wrote that they thought perhaps the "people in charge may be for it" regarding the nazi insignias... i will say to his defense that he is the complete opposite of what you would "assume". He is a true gentleman and very down to earth. He's a millionare or perhaps even greater but you wouldn't know it if you knew him. He is a good ol' boy who will start up convo with anyone thats around. He wears flip flops, shorts and tshirts to work and goes around greeting everyone every morning. He loves to fish and hunt... you should see his office walls! He makes his employees feel like you are part of his team... like a family. I must say, he and his wife are one of the friendliest people I know.

I just wanted to post this and really just say that I think your post is funny... I'm glad I stumbled upon it...honestly because it reminds me of the first day i walked into BUDK... i was like, what the heck is all this "stuff" and who in the world buys it! hahaha!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Martta. I realize this is old, but I got a kick out of it regardless. A Google search querying budk and white supremacist brought me here, because I've wondered about it myself and getting a new catalog in the mail today brought it back to mind. I have a useful comment perhaps. Don't assume the merchandise is made in the USA regardless of the "good ol' boy" behind it all. Although it ranges in quality, almost all of it is made in China or Taiwan (with some US and Pakistan thrown in surely). BudK/United now owns a formerly German knife company (Kissing Crane) and now makes all the knives in China. Sorry for rambling but I laughed out loud at the "made in the USA" bit.