Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Boston Marathon Recap

What can I say about experiencing the Boston Marathon as a spectator? What a class act!

Everything, from the amazing, HUGE expo, the pasta party, the bus queue, and finish area was very well organized, considering the crowds (about 25,000 people, not including tens of thousands of spectators).

Yes, it was zoo-ish at times, as is to be expected, but I never saw anyone or anything get out of control. The only thing I didn't like (and this has nothing to do with the marathon) is the Boston subway system. You call that a subway system? I will never again complain about the NYC subway system as long as I live. Think of a Manhattan subway platform at rush hour. Then shrink the E train to about one-tenth its size but imagine the same number of people trying to cram into it. Ugh. And Lord help you if you're not fortunate enough to be holding onto something when the train stops (or should I say, lurches). Not for sissies!

Gotta say, though, that the people of Boston--citizens, police and subway workers--were very patient and courteous in my experience. I am sure they must have heard the same questions all day long: "Where is this street? Where is that street? How do I work this machine? How do I get there?" My hat is off to them.

It was nice catching up at the pasta party with Mick, Phil, Laura and Glenn. At first the organizers direct you under a Big Apple Circus big top, complete with clowns and merrymakers. You think you are being taken to some sort of show but the food and tables are actually further away, outside the comfort of the tent. We literally sat in Siberia (it was about that cold!) but it was fun. We dined on two types of pasta, salad, bread sticks and brown ale.

The next morning, we got up at the crack of dawn, checked out of our hotel and parked in a garage downtown. We never discovered the urban myth of "free parking" but we parked all day and only paid $20. That's where Boston has New York beat.

I walked with Tom over to Boston Commons where thousands were queued up for yellow school buses that would take them to the start. If I were writing a poem about it, I would describe the scene as a "sea of red bags," as everyone had their Boston Marathon clothing bag slung over their shoulder.

The runners had great weather: sunny, 50s, not too breezy.

I kissed Tom goodbye, wished him luck and then headed back into the downtown area. On the way out of Boston Commons, a man who sounded remarkably like Borat stopped me and asked, "Excuse my ignorance, but what is this gathering?" I could not believe that someone in Boston, let alone on the planet, would A. not know it's Patriot Day and B. not know it's the Boston Marathon. I told him and he was all taken aback. Glad I could set his world back on its axis.

So, I had a few hours to kill. It was only around 7 AM and Lynne wouldn't be calling me until around 10:30 so that we could watch the marathon together. I stopped at Starbucks, had my coffee, and then, based on Mick's advice, decided to tour Newbury Street. What cool street! Lots of unique stores and restaurants, all unfortunately not open until later but still, it was a nice walk and I got some good photos.

I walked over to the family reunion area on Stuart Street to familiarize myself with it and then later checked out the mall. Lynne called me around 10:30 so made my way outside and was amazed how in just a few hours, the crowds had swelled to around three deep at the finish line on Boylston. Lynne, myself and Sally got a great spot where we were able to see the first male and female winners come in. We saw Robert Cheruiyot fly by with no one else anywhere near him for about two minutes, with a finishing time of 2:07. The two top women battled it out for the finish with the winner, Dire Tune of Ethiopia, finishing in 2:25:25, just 2 seconds ahead of Russian Alevtina Biktimorova!

It was exciting when we spotted ERC members Glenn and Mick finishing. Sally was waiting for her boyfriend to come in and both Lynne and Sally also knew some people from North Jersey Masters, Sneaker Factory and the Jersey Shore Runners. We screamed at the top of our lungs when we saw Tom but unfortunately, he was on the other side of the street and couldn't hear us. He looked good, though!

Later, I was able to catch up with Mick and Tom over on Stuart Street under the "E" for Essex sign. Good idea, Mick! I got to hear about the course from Mick's perspective, someone who's done the course a few times, and Tom, a newbie to Boston. Many veteran Boston runners have told me that most of Boston is downhill and this can actually be tougher on the quads than the hills. Something to remember if you're training for it.

A special shout out to Andy K.! This Boston marks his 600th marathon, finishing in a very respectable time of 4:15. Way to go, Andy! I only have 596 more to do to catch up to ya.

No comments: