Sunday, February 10, 2008

A New Generation of Dating

I can't resist sharing this bon mot from one of the more militant childfree web sites I frequent. It was written by a youngish guy, around 23, who just started dating a woman he met through Facebook. What would be YOUR first clue that this relationship is doomed? Hint: I've highlighted it for you to make it easier.--M


"I seem to have stumbled across something of a mixed blessing in recent weeks. A random girl started sending me messages on Facebook, having somehow stumbled across my profile. We chatted back and forth there for awhile, and we really seemed to be hitting it off, so we decided to go out.

Now, it's been about a week since we started dating, and there's a problem that I'd hoped would have started clearing up by now. Namely: whenever we're out together, we never seem to have much to talk about. Usually, it boils down to a routine of "how's your day/classes/family?" And neither of us seems able to spark more beyond that. Case in point, we're here in Starbucks waiting until 9:00 for a movie we're going to see, and we're both just sitting across from each other, typing at our laptops. It's been like this for the past two hours or so, only broken up by a phone call, and a handful of failed attempts at conversation, which ended up with each of us just looking around with nothing to say. I don't think we've exchanged ten words since I started typing this.

When we are doing something passive, like watching movies together, this isn't too bad, since we've got something to focus on. But when there isn't anything like that, there's just silence more often than not. We seemed to talk so fluidly online, but in person, all that just disappears, and I don't know why. Or what to do about it.

I mean, we both seem to like each other well enough, but at the same time, I don't want a girlfriend who I can't even hold a conversation with in person. What should I do? Just give it another week or two, to see if anything changes? I know it's early in the relationship yet, but Valentine's Day is right around the corner, and if the silence issue doesn't improve in the near future, I'd feel like an ass for breaking things off so close to that day. Regardless of the fact that it's early on.


Who the f**k brings a laptop on a date? But let's be fair here: It's not only the guy. Apparently, she brought hers as well! How these people will ever be able to connect, emotionally, physically or otherwise, is beyond me.

3 comments:

Mauigirl said...

Some people chat on line because they have issues actually talking to other people. These folks seem to be two of a kind.

He needs to get rid of her and find someone who will draw him out of his shell!

Mauigirl said...

Um, by the way, I do talk a lot in person, too, LOL!

Martta said...

That's good! :-) Me, too.