Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Like a Patient Etherized...

OK, it's been two weeks now of getting a bird's eye view of Tony Soprano's ICU unit. There's a reason that only immediate family members are allowed in the ICU: No one else wants to see that! Having been in a few ICUs myself (as a visitor, not a patient, thank God), I can certainly speak from experience.

About 95% of the time, the patient is sleeping. During the other 5%, he or she is being attended to by hospital staffers to take care of such pleasantries as bodily functions and the changing of IV drips.

Don't get me wrong, I love The Sopranos and plan to watch every last episode, good, bad or indifferent. But enough of the ICU. I want to go home.

Which brings me to my next topic. Martta's World decrees that just as it is with the ICU--only immediate family members are allowed--the same should be true for Little League games. Yes, folks, only immediate family should EVER be allowed at these things. If you are NOT a member of said immediate family and you actually LIKE going to Little League games you are either 1. A pedophile or 2. A very, very sick individual who should not be allowed near living things. Really, you need help.

My boyfriend has two grandchildren, one of which is a lovely 10-year-old boy who plays Little League, among other things. He's actually a very cute, cool kid. He likes Weird NJ, he knows how to work an iPod, he likes scary movies. And yes, he plays catcher for his Little League team. Not that there's anything wrong with that. He's pretty decent, if I say so myself.

But the other kids? Oy vey, as they say! Hell on Earth is another phrase that comes to mind. Granted, there are a few bright bulbs on the tree, but for the most part, bad, boring and begrudgingly long.

Now I am all for kids playing sports, getting exercise, staying busy so they don't hold up the Local 7-11. But really, folks. Immediate family only.

No comments: