Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Some Musings

My next race, a 10K, is on March 26 in Millburn. Can wait. I don't think I've raced a 10K since the fall. They've all been longer races, 10-milers, 15Ks, the 20K two weeks ago. I feel as ready as ever but nervous. My goal to to break 50 minutes in the 10K and 24 minutes in the 5K. Doable goals, I think.

As usual, I have some tough competition in my age group. Depending on who shows up at Millburn, I might not make it into the top 3 slots...we shall see.
************************************************************************************

A male co-worker, who I like very much, told me he thinks I'm getting too skinny. Besides the fact that it's not of his business, I'm not. I weigh exactly the same as I did 6 months ago. Maybe it's what I was wearing, who knows? Who cares? I feel great and I'd rather be thin than fat...so there!

The only thing is that my clothes from a year ago are all too big for me, when I was 10 lbs. heavier. I didn't think just 10 lbs. would make such a difference in clothing size. Lots of stuff just swims on me, like I'm wearing my big sister's hand-me-downs! I will give some of them away to Goodwill but some I really like (like one lavender suit) and I will need to have them taken in. Yes, it may prove costly but it's that or buy a whole new wardrobe. Don't get me wrong, I love to shop as much as the next woman but when do I have the time? Answer: I don't.
************************************************************************************

Through no fault of her own, just some plain old bad luck, a friend of mine from the running club got a DWI and lost her license for 7 months. And, since I am the only one she told about it, guess who will be driving her to all the races until October? It is a bit of an inconvenience but she IS a great friend and she's always been there for me. Poor thing. She's needs this now like the proverbial hole in the head. She just put her mom in a nursing home (Alzheimer's) and has some minor health issues of her own.

I AM a little pissed at her because she just told me this about 2 weeks ago. Had she told me sooner (when it happened), I could have gotten her a decent lawyer. More on that below:

She was driving home from the shore (Manasquan) one night last summer. She was not, I repeat NOT intoxicated. She had one frigging glass of wine at a friend's house.

Anyhoo, she was stopped by a cop because her lights were out. The reason they were out is that her car (an older model Honda from 1995) has a dashboard glitch. The dashboard lights come on even if the headlights are not on. She explained the glitch to the cop who stopped her. He asked her if she had been drinking and she told him the truth: She had one glass of wine.

Well, to make a long story short, he drags her ass down to the station and makes her take a breathalizer. She did not refuse the test. However, due to nerves, a panic attack, whatever, she could not get the damned thing to work. So, this asshole, records that she refused the test!!! After spending the night in jail, she was sent home and told she had to appear in court.

She calls her family *lawyer* (and I use that term lightly...he sounds more like a milquetoast to me) and he basically tells her that there's nothing she can do, the sitting judge is a real asshole, she'll probably get 7 months suspended, etc. Well, this prophecy came true. If she had gotten a real lawyer instead of a make-believe lawyer, I think she could have gotten a reduced suspension at least.

So, that's it in a nutshell. I feel really bad for her. I can't imagine not having access to my car, for 7 months yet. Sheesh!

No comments: