Monday, May 14, 2007

When Did We Become So Child-centric?

All this Mommy and Daddy blog talk got me to thinking: When did American society become so child-centric?

I ask this not to be facetious but I genuinely want to know.

I was born in 1957 and while having kids was a way of life for my parents and their friends, we didn't seem to be the center of everyone's universe, at least from my perspective. Yes, they spent time with us, did kid things with us, attended our school plays, sporting events and whatnot but they also did adult things with their adult friends, no kids allowed.

Every Saturday night, my parents would go out, sometimes alone, sometimes with another couple and I was left home with a sitter. I actually looked forward to Saturday nights because I got to stay up and play cards (Canasta!)with the sitter or watch Ed Sullivan, drink tea with honey (only one cup was allowed), and eat a Swanson fried chicken TV dinner. Yes, having a TV dinner was a real treat to me when I was 9 or 10. Who can forget the scrumptious, greasy fried chicken, the mashed potatoes that you could remove from its compartment with one fell swoop of the fork, and the gelatinous, but tasty, apple cobbler? God, I lived for Saturday nights.

But I digress. Today, you see kids EVERYWHERE you don't want to see them: at R-rated movies, at the racetrack at midnight, at bars, at fancy restaurants, even at adult-themed parties. God forbid these parents should hire a sitter for one lousy night.

And, it's no wonder that the majority of my current crop of friends are childfree. That's because even on the rare occasion when the kids are left at home with a sitter, the conversation ultimately turns to toilet training, breastfeeding, Mommy and Me classes and sippy cups. Sorry, but life is short and my brain has better things to do. Many of these folks were really cool people before they had kids; it's almost as if the cool part of their brains got discarded with the placenta.

But to me, the telling factor that children have surely taken over the universe is the homes in which they live. That's right, walk into almost any house with kids today and you'll know right away who wears the plastic-lined pants in the family. The house will be strewn with kindercrap, not just in the child's room or playroom but in the living room, the dining room, the kitchen and even the parents' bedroom. All kinds of cheap, plastic, made-in-China crap guaranteed to hold a child's attention for two minutes tops.

When I was a child, my toys had to be picked up and returned to my bedroom or the playroom when I was finished playing with them. I certainly was not allowed to leave them all over the house or on the furniture. I remember crying because our dog at the time had chewed up one of my favorite dolls that I left in the living room. My mother had no sympathy for me, telling me that if the doll had been put away on the shelf in my room, this would not have happened.

But getting back to my original question: When did we become so child-centric? In my opinion, I think it happened sometime after World War II. In the years following the war, people had more disposable income and more imporatntly, more leisure time. Leisure time was almost unheard of when my grandparents were raising families. You worked, came home to eat dinner, listened to the radio, read the paper, went to bed, and got up the next day to do the same damn thing all over again. Vacations were only for wealthy folks.

In post-war middle-class families, more moms stayed home and could, therefore, spend more time with their kids. Once or twice a year, most familes took vacations together. Naturally, since parents gradually began to spend more and more time at home with their kids, a cottage industry grew out of it. Advertisers began marketing directly to kids so that said kids would pester Mom and Dad incessantly until they caved in and bought whatever cheap, imported, plastic bauble or sugar-encrusted cereal they wanted.

Also, for the first time in history, it was no longer a scandal to get a divorce. So, you had more divorced parents, split households and a lot more guilt. The guilty parties would then overcompensate for their perceived failures not just with material excesses but with time as well. Spending more time with your kids is not a bad thing, mind you, but more and more parents began to involve their kids in their own lives, dragging them everywhere, even to places once considered oases for adults.

Call me what you want but I kind of like the phrase, "Children should be seen and not heard." I should not be hearing them in upscale dining establishments unless they can sit quietly and cut their own meat. I should not seeing OR hearing them cry out in R-rated movies or at a bar or a museum (unless it's a kiddie exhibit).

To parapharse the old American Express ad that stated, "Don't leave home without it," my message to these kid-centric parents is "Do leave home without 'em"--at least once in a awhile.

13 comments:

Mauigirl said...

You are so right! My parents always went out on their own on the weekends and I stayed home with a babysitter. Nowadays so many people are afraid to leave their kids with anyone outside of a family member! I had babysitters my parents barely knew, kids of 12 or 13 sometimes, and I lived through it! One of them was a favorite - she let me stay up and watch the 9 p.m. movie. The other thing is, I went to bed at 7:30 until I was about 8 years old! My father got home around 6:30 or 7:00, said hello to me, and then it was off to bed. My parents wanted time to themselves. Also my mom did stay home with me, but she stuck me in a playpen if she had stuff to do. Not like nowadays.

Martta said...

My BF's nephew was graduated from med school this weekend (Georgetown U.) and wouldn't you know it, there were annoying, crying babies in audience during the ceremony at Constitution Hall! About as welcome as yellow jackets at a picnic.

Anonymous said...

This is so true. The U.S. is ridiculously child-centric, and many parents have no manners at all. Babies at a college graduation! Get a clue, people. Hire a babysitter or stay home. Constitution Hall is not the place for crying babies. Also, your children have a huge chance of turning out to be spoiled adults who think they are the center of the universe unless you teach them they are not. Stop being guilted into believing you have to spend every waking moment with your child.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE THIS ENTRY! THANK YOU FOR VOICING WHAT I'VE BEEN FEELING ABOUT BAD PARENTS FOR A LONG TIME!

You have absolutely GOT to read this amazing article on the subject by a writer in NEwsweek named Carrie Friedman. Word is she's writing a book on the topic, expanding it.
http://www.newsweek.com/id/33076

Rock on! -Sarah

Anonymous said...

Tell it, Sister!! As a childfree person, my annoyance at being constantly surrounded by whinning, spoiled, me-my-mine children knows no bounds. It's like an invasion of an alien life form, only "our side" welcomes them and their plastic-toting, mind-numbing presence with open arms - and wallets. RESCUE ME!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, this was excellent! It warms my heart to know you're out there Martha; Good to know I'm not alone! I am dealing with a lot of friends who have "turned on me" as they raise their children. The ones who can't leave home without em and can't talk about anything else when they do...Which often leads me to think their decision to have children might have more to do with a "me-centric" attitude for themselves than a love of a children all along.

I also feel bad for these kids who whose parents are failing to lead by example, which is what our parents did when they lived their own lives and had private time when they left us at home with a sitter.

Anonymous said...

I dont know but I dont like it either. I'm tired of having to deal with kids because I'm the 'odd girl out' as I dont have (dont want) kids. I HAVE to be inundated with children because all my friends have them. I must acclimate or fear rejection.

Anonymous said...

down here in australia is the same
you will see kids crawling on macdonald counter, prams parked outside local libraries, children scream in library
people just keep poping out kids to get kiddy allowance
i m sure one day australia will be filled up with dumb adults

Anonymous said...

Very good points - and I agree!

Im an Aussie too, and so much of society support systems, health, wellbeing etc is all about "the kids". Its not just that they are everywhere without any parental control, its that we spend so much energy, money, and time trying to better their lives, then when they reach adulthood, they are pretty much forgotten. Its borderline discrimination - situations where a an adult struggles for support (eg mental illness), children have many more options, people are quicker to support them, and they are more likely to get the help they need. eg Mentally unwell adults get tazered (and some killed - check the news here), assaulted, put into forced care, and then generally medicated and released. Things that would cause public outcry with adults.

Case in point, and as terrible as it was, the recent school shooting illustrates the point well. International outcry, bemoaning stupid gun laws, policy changes, etc... all things that have been made a priority now that some young people have been harmed in a relatively isolated incident. What about the 1000's of adults that get killed every year from guns? Why isnt there outcry at those numbers?! One person has been trying to compile the numbers - they estimate 242 shootings SINCE the Newtown massacre.

I give up on society mostly. Im pretty sure we are heading for an Idiocracy (go and watch the movie!)

Anonymous said...

I miss the days of "Children should be seen an not heard"

I remember them well, kids were not a fashion accessory, did not need to be dragged around everywhere, and not every kid was the next Einstein.

Now its flat out annoying, especially for those of us Child FREE couples, no we don't want to hear about your kids illnesses no we don't want to learn about their "autism" and no we don't want to hear them over a our nice conversation over dinner.

Hire a sitter and lets get back to when kids were part of life, and not all of life.

Anonymous said...

Totally agree. I can't believe how the world has changed and parents lose their identity after they have kids. I'm so bored w the kid talk I hear from my friend who I once was closer to. Kids can ruin a marital relationship, friendship, personal identity, etc if you always put them above everyone else.

Anonymous said...

This post is spot on. It scares me what the future holds and how the elderly will be cared for. They matter just as much as kids. I was born in 1976. I wasn't coddled, I was spanked, I did not get loads of toys, I used my brain to make up games or read. I was pretty quiet and thanked people for any kindness. Now kids are reminded all the time to be quiet, say thankyou, etc. I'm bombarded on TV w movies w kids and commercials w parents and kids. Heck I feel left out lol. Movies used to include just couples, a lone man or woman, etc. I do notice a few nice, polite kids when I go out and I would love to thank the parents for a good job. It makes me hopeful. I worry abt the care of the elderly in the future and the overall work ethic. I'm glad I've invested and saved money for that time when it comes.

Anonymous said...

This post is spot on. It scares me what the future holds and how the elderly will be cared for. They matter just as much as kids. I was born in 1976. I wasn't coddled, I was spanked, I did not get loads of toys, I used my brain to make up games or read. I was pretty quiet and thanked people for any kindness. Now kids are reminded all the time to be quiet, say thankyou, etc. I'm bombarded on TV w movies w kids and commercials w parents and kids. Heck I feel left out lol. Movies used to include just couples, a lone man or woman, etc. I do notice a few nice, polite kids when I go out and I would love to thank the parents for a good job. It makes me hopeful. I worry abt the care of the elderly in the future and the overall work ethic. I'm glad I've invested and saved money for that time when it comes.