Friday, May 19, 2006

Pain I Haven't Used Yet

Ever hear the expression, "Ugly she/he hasn't used yet?" Well replace the word "ugly" with "pain" and that describes my visit to the masseuse to a T.

I always rave about this woman to my running friends and she is worth every penny. I wish I could afford to visit her every other week but for now, it's just when I have a problem, which lately, has been a stiff lower back and the back of my quads.

Well, she literally found pain that I didn't even know I had! I mean, we're talking the minute she laid her big, strong hands on me. I don't recall the last time I had so many knots. They were mostly located in my buttocks and lower back areas and the back of my thighs but she found some in my upper back as well, especially around the neck and shoulders! I guess it HAS been a long time.

She asked me a few times if she was hurting me. I answered "yes" but I told her to keep on keeping on because that was the only way to bring the knots to the surface. Trust me, I know from experience.

She said it my discomfort was mainly due to overuse but she also asked me if I had taken a fall recently. As a matter of fact, I had: Last week on the trail, I slipped on a small rock and landed on the ground. No biggie, no skin was broken, just a little scratched up. But she said that as a result of falling on my right side, my left was trying to overcompensate and that was causing a lot of my distress.

Well, today I feel about 90% pain-free and tomorrow I should be golden. I really need to try to visit her more often. Maybe if I cut back on my Guinness tab??

1 comment:

Farrell said...

cut back on the guinness tab...no way. life is better with balance. ok, not with the imbalance of too much guinness