Friday, January 04, 2008

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year to all my fans, all 2 of 'em! :-)


The best things about the holiday season, for me, were the days off, and sleep. Remember sleep? It was wondrous, except for the stomach bug I acquired on New Year's Eve. Didn't know how sick I was until I took my temp: it read 102! Yikes! I don't remember having a temp that high in years, possibly within the past decade. At any rate, by the afternoon of Jan. 1, it started to come down and I felt much better, better enough to go back to work on Jan. 2. Appetite still not back 100% but I've heard these things can take a few days. Could have been worse, right?


We also got some things done in the house which is good. And, we got our first oil bill, over $500. Yikes again! We keep our home at a conservative 65 to 70 degrees, so our only conclusion is that fuel oil is very expensive, which we knew already. But, as I keep telling T, there are only two-and-a-half more months of real winter. Hang in there!

I'm not big on making New Year's resolutions because if you're human and you break them, you acquire a sense of failure which benefits no one. I actually had a psychotherapist client a few years ago who suggested that one make a list of all the positive accomplishments in the past year. Much healthier, I think. I did make one resolution, though: To write more poetry and fiction in '08. Last year, someone gave me a book called "The Artist's Way" that includes exercises designed to help you unblock your creativity.

It's really been bugging me, my writer's block. One of the things that happened when I took up running seriously is that writing got pushed to back burner. This year, my 10th year of running for sport, I would like to strike a healthier balance.

On average, T & I run about 25 races a year, give or take. By our club standards, that's higher than average. In fact, most coaches recommend no more than 12 races a year. No wonder we're tired! Gonna be a hard habit to break, I will tell you that, because I also enjoy the camaraderie at these races.

Both of us DID secure 2007 USATF-NJ awards, though, in two categories, respectively. Our awards dinner is on Jan. 19.

6 comments:

douglas said...

I read your blog because we have ZPG in common. Sorry about the writer's block and bug. Some friends wrote a nice book that might help. Art and Fear by Ted Orland & David Bayles. Fuel oil is high this year but you might still lower your bill by looking for ways to keep heat from escaping. Good luck in the new year.

Martta said...

Thanks, Douglas, but what is ZPG? Zebras per gallon? LOL, please enlighten me. and thanks for reading my blog.

douglas said...

I'm sorry. That's the problem with acronyms. You never know which ones another person is used to. It took me a year to figure out LOL. (Z)ero (P)opulation (G)rowth. We also have running in common. I used to be a serious 10K addict. I got sidelined by two knee surgeries and plantar fasciitis. Now I just run to clear my head and keep the fat off.

Martta said...

LOL, Now I get it--duh!

Middle distances like 10K and 5 miles are my fave distances, too, and the ones I do best in. What's your best 10K time? Mine was 50:17set in 2005. Now I average between 51 and 52. Getting older sucks, don't it?

Sorry to hear about you injuries but glad to see you are still running.

douglas said...

I didn't run too many fast flat courses but I think I clocked a 40 something once. I grew up in the foothills so I favored hilly fire trails. My favorite race went up 2K in elevation over 10K in distance. I barely broke 45 on that race. I think it was Twain who said something to the effect of "Getting older is hard but it beats the alternative".

Mauigirl said...

Hmm, I too have ZPG in common with you both, LOL! But not the running!

Martta, if it makes you feel any better, my husband and I both had the stomach bug thing right before Christmas. Ugh.