Monday, October 24, 2005

Selfish, Shallow People

Hearing about selfish, shallow people make me glad that I don't have too many of them in my life.

Spoke to a friend/former client of mine who lives upstate. He got remarried a little over a year ago to a woman he met online. (It was all on the up and up. His divorce had just come through to his first wife). She was from New Orleans but decided to pack up and move to upstate NY to be with him. The last time I spoke with my friend (about 6 months ago), everything was hunky-dory, peachy-keeny.

Well, last week I find out that divorce proceedings are in the works with wife #2. Seems that my friend's elderly mom had a stroke and he decided to take her into his home rather than put her in a nursing home (he's an only child). The wife was OK with this at first but didn't count on the MIL driving everyone crazy. She's driving my friend crazy, too, but it IS his mother so what was he supposed to do? Well, evidently, the wife couldn't take it and moved out. Not only moved out but is now filing for divorce.

I tell ya. People's true colors certainly come out when there's a crisis. A word to the wise: don't judge a relationship by the good times. Wait until the bad times and see how the chips fall. That's the true test.

No comments: