Friday, February 09, 2007

Awesome!



This was taken with my crappy cell phone camera but it was an event of such importance to me that I couldn't wait to take a photo, ANY photo.

This is the first flower to bloom on my orchid plant in my office this year. Somehow this baby picked the coldest week this winter to make its appearance but nevertheless, it has arrived and brings promise that no matter how depressing this life gets, there is always a beacon of hope.

And, there are seven other buds waiting to burst as I write this.

A little history:

Last spring, I did a non-work-related favor for a client of mine. To thank me, this lovely woman had a beautiful orchid with white blossoms delivered to my office. I had never owned an orchid before but I know they have their following. In fact, a co-worker down the hall from me has about half a dozen of the plants in her office.

Well, the plant looked great for about 2 or 3 months and then one by one, the petals began to fall. I was so saddened by this. I consulted my colleague and asked if the blossoms would ever come back. She said, "Maybe." She suggested I continue to water it weekly and even give it some fertilizer. I did this for several months but nothing happened--until this past week!

I did read up on orchids a bit. From what I understand, most varieties are hardy plants, surviving droughts and extreme heat in various parts of the world. So, even if you forget to water them one week, it probably won't kill them.

I promise to take more (and better!) photos with the digital next week. Be prepared to orchisized!

1 comment:

Martta said...

Well, I don't know who you are, but thanks for visiting.