Tuesday, November 22, 2005

My Top 10 Guitar Gods

As promised, here is the list of my Top 10 Guitar Gods:

1. Link Wray -- Admittedly, he had a lot of lame songs but you can't beat the guitar on Rumble.

2. Bill Justis Band -- Who can forget Raunchy?

3. Duane Eddy -- Check out my blog a couple of posts back.

4. Chuck Berry -- Not so much for his rock 'n' roll tunes, but if you ever get a chance to check out guitar solos like Deep Feeling, you'll be hooked.

5. The Chantays -- One word: Pipeline!

6. Ween -- One of my fave experimental bands from New Hope, PA. The guitar on A Tear for Eddie and Buenos Tarde, Amigo will blow you away.

7. Russ Hicks -- Steel guitarist featured on Ween's 12 Great Country Hits CD. Flawless.

8. Ghoultown -- A band out of Dallas, TX, that has some of most haunting songs and guitar solos you'll ever hear. Google them: they share their tunes. Don't pass up Killer in Texas.

9. Nelson Riddle -- The theme from Courageous Cat and Minute Mouse. Need I say more?

10. Dead Kennedys -- I could listen to East Bay Ray's guitar solo on Police Truck over and over and over. Love the Echoplex effect!

7 comments:

Martta said...

To each his own, I guess. Sure, send 'em along

matt said...

Rest in peace, Link. Even in his later years, he still looked and played like a badass.

Martta said...

I like HT...went to a concert in college. Didn't know they were still around.

Martta said...

Yes, Jerry Garcia, the Dead...there will always be a special place in my heart for them. Glad I got to see the Dead live before Jerry died. American Beauty is my fave album of theirs.

MyManMisterC said...

As sign in front of Westiminster Abbey said - "Clapton is God."

Martta said...

My brother loves Clapton, too. I'm just in "like" with him. I only own one of his CDs. Songs like "Wonderful Tonight" ruin it for me. I hate schmaltz.

On a sadder note, I just read in the Ledger that one of my faves, Link Wray, passed away in Denmark at 79. So sad. I just wrote about him a few posts back.

Anonymous said...

May I suggest that all devotees of other-worldly guitar playing listen to the great, but tragically, late Clarence White. Killed by a drunk driver at the age, I believe, of 26 as he was leaving an L.A. recroding session in 1973. Known for his monstrous Martin D-28 flatpicking, he was also a complete virtuouso Fender Telecaster player. He actually co-invented the B-Bender which made his Tele sound like a pedal steel guitar. Jorma personally told me that nobody ever walked the earth who could play at White's level. I suggest listening to the 1969 Filmore West recording of Clarence playing with the Byrds. He also appears on their seminal country-rock album "Sweetheart of the Rodeo" His famous Martin D-28 is now owned by today's greatest acoustic flatpicker, Tony Rice. Rice does not take that guitar on the road. That guitar is distinctive because Clarence carved out the soundhole about one/half an inch larger for greater projection. Give Clarence White a listen and you will then know why Duane Allman said, "I thought I could play until I heard Clarence White". Thanks, David Moore