Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Kept My Date with the Chiro

Yeah, I went to see the chiro on Monday. Got there exactly on time which is a freakin' miracle since Paramus is like a whole other universe to me. In fact, Bergen County in general is daunting to me. Don't know why. Maybe it's all those stories I used to hear about how scary Route 17 is. They're greatly exaggerated, in my opinion.

To make along story short, my problem is actually less severe than I thought it was. I expected the worst: He was going to tell me that I have a herniated disc, that I should stop running immediately and accept that I was going to walk hunched over like a gorilla for the rest of my life. Actually, what I have is a tissue adhesion, very common in runners, due to overuse (guilty) and due to trying to rev up your mileage too quickly (also guilty). I also have a pronated left foot which I knew about already.

I also expected the worst in terms of pain. But I have to honestly say that I've had massages that hurt more than what he did. Yes, he pulled and prodded, stretched and poked, but I didn't cry out in agony. One thing I will say is that he definitely knows his anatomy. He was able to zero right in on the source of my problem.

The bottom line? I feel about 90% better. Honestly. I don't get that annoying dull pain when I turn over in bed or bend down to tie my shoes. He says that one more visit should do it. Way cool.
************************************************************************************
Saturday night is awards night, yippee! Me and Tom and some other folks from our club are going. I am getting two 3rd Place USATF-NJ awards. In 2003, I got a 2nd place award but never got two before. I am psyched. At my age, I have to be.

I also got a call from a fellow club member, who's also on the USATF committee, saying that she needs, and I quote, "some attractive women to help sell raffle tickets, so I thought of you." I have to say that she really has a good sales pitch going there and more power to her. I haven't felt very attractive lately due to my allergy which has raised its ugly little head again--or I should say raised the skin around my eyes. And made it red. And gave it this horrible dry, lizard-like appearance. Are you grossed out yet? :-)

Yeah, I haven't had allergies in God knows how many years and then we get this freak winter with the 72 degree days and such. That means all the little mold spores that are normally dormant during the winter are ALIVE AND KICKING! I had to go back on the meds (Zyrtec), the cortisone cream and the eye drops which help but don't help 100%. Plus, Zyrtec, as with many allergy meds, is a mild depressant. Normally, not a problem but I am a bit pre-disposed to depression (especially as I get older) so I do tend to go into a funk. I try to hide it as best as I can though. Oh, and I did I mention that the Zyrtec makes you have weird dreams, too?

And the presciption cortisone cream relieves the itching but it dries out the skin terribly.

Supposedly, starting today we're supposed to go through a cold spell so that has helped a bit. But, gee, I hope it stays cold for a bit. Just to kill the mold. Kill them all, let nature sort them out!

No comments: