Thursday, January 11, 2007

Miracles of Miracles

Today my butt-thang doesn't feel that bad. Really. And, it really is coincidental that The New York Times ran an article today (Jan. 11) in the Health Section that basically says when an athlete is injured, he or she should keep on moving. This goes against the old tried and true advice about resting, staying off your feet, etc. It said that too much rest can actually work against you, atrophy your muscles and so forth.

Naturally, if you are in debilitating pain, you should see a doc before continuing to exercise but most muscle inflammations can benefit from cross-training or doing the activity you normally do (such as running) but not as much of it. So there.

Actually, this comes as no surprise to me since my running coach's motto is "Motion is lotion," meaning that gentle movement actually helps heal minor muscle aches and such.

I'm still keeping my appointment with the chiro on Monday, though. I want to make sure this thing is gone for good and never coming back.

No comments: